Status Update

Our services are NOT affected by COVID-19. All team members work from the safety of their homes. You will receive a response to your email within 15-30 minutes. Order with confidence.

header background

I’m from Overseas and Have an Overseas License – How do I get a Driver’s License in Australia?


get a call back

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

I’m from Overseas and Have an Overseas License – How do I get a Driver’s License in Australia?

Last Updated On: July 10, 2017 by admin

I’m from Overseas and Have an Overseas License – How do I get a Driver’s License in Australia?
Last updated:July 15th, 2015 by admin

There is no one driver’s license that covers you for all the different states and territories in Australia. Once you have been living in a specific state for more than 3 months you will need to obtain the license for that state if you wish to drive legally. If you have moved from overseas and you hold a license to drive in your own country you may use this legally for the first 3 months of your stay. However, it is advisable to get professional translation services to translate the details of your driving license into English. Document translation services can provide a NAATI translation which will put you in a favourable situation if asked by an official to show your driver’s license.

Once the three months has passed you might be required to take a practical driving test before being issued with your new license. If you possess a New Zealand driver’s license or you have been in possession of an Australian driver’s license in the past the requirement to sit a practical test may be waived. Licenses held by those from the European Union, the USA, Canada and Japan may also be exempt from this requirement.

If you are coming to reside in Australia from any other country you may be required to sit a driving test, both theory and practical. As long as you have held a driver’s license from your own country for at least 3 years you should not be subject to a probationary period once you have passed the driving test. As you are permitted to drive in Australia for 3 months using your own country’s license you should wait until the 3 months is close to expiry before sitting the state’s driving test as if you happen to sit the test and fail before the 3 month period has come to an end you will not be able to drive using your overseas license but you will have to wait until you have passed the driving test.

If you are living in New South Wales the theory driving test is taken on a computer at all RTA offices. If you fail you can have as many goes as it takes to pass. The downside to this is that you have to hand over 30 dollars for each attempt! If you fail the practical test you take on learner driver’s status until you pass. This means you will need to be accompanied by a license holder every time you drive and you will have to stick to a speed limit of 80 kph.

rulet siteleri casino siteleri maltepe escort betwinner onwin melbet elexbet paper io paperio unblocked pendik escort escort istanbul yeni bahis siteleri bonus veren siteler

Casino istanbul escort escort pendik yeni bahis siteleri bonus veren siteler