header background

get a call back

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

How Do I Get an Australian Parent Visa Exemption?

Last Updated On: August 12, 2022 by The Migration Translators

Australian Parent Visa Exemption
How Do I Get an Australian Parent Visa Exemption?
Last updated:August 12th, 2022 by The Migration Translators

There are some visas where a travel exemption is now possible to come to Australia and in particular for parents of children who legally reside in Australia as either a citizen or permanent residents.

The updated travel exemption for parents

​From the 21st of October, 2021 parents of both Australian citizens and Australian permanent residents were eligible to file an application for a travel exemption to undertake travel from the 1st November 2021 to Australia. The aim of this according to the then minister for Home Affairs was to fast-track the reuniting of families who have been separated by the pandemic for a long period of time. Many of whom have missed important family events like funerals, weddings, and the births of grandchildren.

These travel exemption applications can be filed through the Department of Home Affairs Travel Exemption Portal. Several parental relationships are permitted, including adoptive, biological, legal, parent-in-law, and step-parent. It is necessary to provide suitable evidence of the parental relationship with a permanent resident or Australian citizen. Parents must be in possession of a valid passport, and vaccination proof before making travel arrangements to enter Australia. Evidence of a parental relationship with an Australian citizen or permanent resident is required, with examples of the type of evidence required available on the Department’s website. Parents must also have a valid passport, visa, and proof of vaccination for travel to Australia.

However, from 6th July 2022, all ​travel restrictions have ​changed. Immediate family members of an Australian citizen or permanent resident may now travel to Australia without needing a prior assessment of their relationship status, as long as they hold a valid visa and meet all normal border entry requirements.

The Travel Exemptions Portal for parents of Australian citizens and permanent residents is now no longer available because exemptions are no longer required to enter Australia. The requirement is that you hold a valid visa before entering Australia. 

The evidence of parenthood required includes the following:

Evidence proving your adult child is a permanent resident or Australian citizen such as an:

  • Australian passport;
  • Australian citizenship certificate;
  • Australian birth certificate.

Proof of Australian permanent residence in Australia

Proof of the parental relationship you have with the Australian citizen or permanent resident, like:

  • adoption certificate;
  • birth certificate;
  • family status certificate or family book if officially issued and maintained;
  • marriage certificate.

What visa can they apply for?

A visitor visa (subclass 600) is the best choice for parents wishing to visit children in Australia if their nationality means they do not qualify for an ETA or eVisitor visa. The visitor visa attracts a fee of $370 and all nationalities are eligible to apply. You may apply to visit Australia for a 3, 6, or 12 months period with a single entry or multiple entries. Another option is applying for a parent visa which is subclass 870 and is a temporary visa which permits the parents of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand Citizen to reside in Australia for up to between 3 and 5 years. The fee to apply for this type of visa begins at $5,090 for 3 years or $10,180 for 5 years and is open to all nationalities. To apply for this sort of visa, the child who needs to be an Australian citizen or permanent resident is required to sponsor their parents’ application.

What if the documents are not in English?

If the documents proving parenthood are not in English the applicant must use an Australian-based NAATI-accredited translator to get the required translations.