Getting Re-married Overseas? Have You Got an Officially Translated Divorce Certificate?

Australians love to travel and sometimes travel turns to love. If you meet someone overseas whether it is through initial contact here in Australia or on a holiday or while you were working and you plan to marry, you will probably be asked to show that you are free to marry. It may be that all you have to say is that you are single and not married, but if you have been married before and are now divorced you may have to show that you are legitimately divorced before you can get married. The difference between being married and not married can make all the difference in some countries and you may not be allowed to stay in that country unless you are officially married. If your partner to be is a citizen of a country where the language is not English, you will probably have to get your divorce certificate, presuming you have one issued to you here in Australia translated into your new partner’s native language.

This is where a NAATI accredited translator comes in useful. Using an accredited document language translation service means that you can get your Getting Re-married Overseas? Have You Got an Officially Translated Divorce Certificate? and any other documents that may be useful to you in your adopted country translated correctly. You should also get the translator to make sure that he or she certifies your translation in the language required to show to any officialdom that it is a true and correct translation from the original English version. This may not be necessary of course, but you won’t want to hold up a wedding at the last minute just because you don’t have an acceptable piece of paper, would you?

Getting Re-married Overseas
The reverse situation is also just as important. If you meet a person overseas and intend marrying here in Australia, and that person is or was divorced, do make sure that they bring their divorce certificate with them. It is better in this case to get the certificate translated by a NAATI accredited translator here in Australia as the translation will be more readily accepted. Of course, this can usually be done online from overseas, but find out first if the original has to be sighted by the translator.

Get Your Divorce Certificate Translated by a Reliable NAATI Accredited Translator

There are many reasons why you need to get your divorce certificate translated by a certified translation service. If you have migrated to Australia or were married overseas, it is likely that any official documents you have are in a language other than English. If you were divorced overseas, but now want to get married again, then you will need to show an official document such as a divorce certificate to show that you are legally entitled to get married in Australia. If you do not have a divorce certificate, then you will not be allowed to get married. If you do have a divorce certificate or equivalent which is printed in anything other than English then you will need to use an officially accredited document translation service to translate it properly.

You may also need a translation of a divorce certificate which has been issued in Australia if you wish to get married to someone else and take up residence overseas where your divorce certificate will be needed for a legal marriage in that country.

It is always wise to choose a reliable NAATI accredited translator for any official documents. Marriage and divorce certificates that are not in English, for instance, not only have to be translated into English. The translator will need to attach an affidavit to say that he or she is a qualified translator and what their qualifications are. Also, a copy of the original divorce certificate will need to be attached to the translation with a statement from the translator confirming that the translation is an accurate translation and the copy is a true copy of the original certificate. If you are an Australian or have been divorced here in Australia, it would be wise to get your translator to do the same with your Australian divorce certificate to take with you when you go overseas to live or work.