Dealing with complex paperwork, and in particular documents such as death certificates, can be not only difficult but emotional. You really want to be sure that anybody you trust to undertake the translation of this type of document does it both professionally and accurately. Many issues and complications could arise if a poor translation is created.
Death certificate translations may be required to settle a deceased’s estate when a certified death certificate translation is typically required. The translation of a death certificate may be needed for several purposes like the transferring of assets such as real estate and the disbursing of the deceased’s insurance benefits. So many people have tied around the world, including assets and investments, where a death certificate translation may be required before these assets and investments can be transferred.
What are death certificate translations?
When someone dies, most governments throughout the world will issue a death certificate either authorized by a government agency or a certified medical professional. The death certificate both notes and certifies the location, time, date, and cause of death and the deceased person’s identification information.
There are a number of reasons why death certificates might be issued in one language but later on a translation into another language is required.
- Many countries demand that new immigrants present key documents in the language of their country. This could apply to a death certificate when completing immigration paperwork to enter the United States.
- Before marrying a United States citizen, if a previous spouse has died who was originally from Mexico, the United States Immigration and Citizenship Service may ask for a death certificate translated from Spanish to English, which is evidence proving the status of a lost spouse.
- When there is the need to settle a deceased person’s estate who was a permanent resident or even possessed citizenship in many countries each of which speaks different native languages.
Other times when you may need a death certificate translation are:
- If you’re filing immigration application documents for parents but one has died.
- If you’re submitting documents on behalf of any family members such as children or siblings and a child or spouse or child of theirs has died.
3 tips when selecting the right translation service for a death certificate
When you are in the position of needing a death certificate translated you need to select the right translation service for the job. There are certain features you should look for before finalizing your choice. These are:
1. Search for certified translation agencies
Depending on your country, you should look out for certain signs in translation services advertising material, such as that the translations will be accepted by the USCIS or the service is approved by the American Translator’s Association. Don’t fall for any sales tricks like free death certificates offered, as this type of advertising will not guarantee a good death certificate translation.
2. Look out for recommendations
Some governments and academic agencies may provide a list of recommended translation services.
3. Read reviews
In the digital world, it is commonplace to find that many websites offering death certificate translation services have an area on their website dedicated to reviews from happy customers. Searching through these views is a good way to gauge how satisfied customers are with their translation product.
Once you have chosen your translation services and you have received an accurate death certificate translation you can complete the process by getting your translation notarized.
A death certificate should be notarized before the translation process has been completed. Once the death certificate has been translated it will need to be notarized as well. This is usually completed by getting the translator to issue a certificate which is a “Declaration & Certification of an Interpreter/Translator.” This document can then be signed by the notary. This issued Translation Certificate should be affixed together with the rest of the required documentation for final submission.
A professional death certificate translation agency can ensure that the process of this type of translation is very simple. It can organize a suitable translator and get an accurate death certificate translation that has been notarised and can then serve many purposes when required.