What Documents Are Required and Need to be Translated to Support a Student Visa Application for Australia?

The Australian Government offers opportunities for overseas to study in the country as long as a student visa has been approved. The visa required will be dependent on how old you are, what type of study you wish to follow and how long you wish to stay in the country. The most common student visa is subclass 500, regardless of the chosen area of study.

When you have been accepted to study in Australia you will have to complete a student visa application form. You will be asked to provide translations of your key documents at the time you intend to submit your application.

When submitting your student visa application, you will typically need to show the following first:

  • the electronic confirmation of your enrolment;
  • your passport;
  • your student visa application fee;
  • your statement as a Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE);
  • proof that you have the money to cover your tuition fees, living expenses and return airfare to your country of origin;
  • details showing health insurance cover;
  • statement of purpose;
  • passport-size photographs;
  • if you have not yet reached 18 years, you will need also to provide a document showing your parental consent.

Supporting certificates required for an Australian student visa application

Documents that need to be translated before a student visa can be approved for study in Australia include the following depending on your personal situations:

  • your birth certificate;
  • your marriage certificate (if applicable);
  • your driver’s licence;
  • your educational certificates;
  • your employment records;
  • your degrees and diplomas.

On top of the above basic documents you may be asked to provide translations of the following:

  • change of name certificates (if applicable),
  • identity documents,
  • military certificates,
  • police clearance certificates,
  • proof of de facto relationship such as joint bank account statements,
  • academic records and transcripts.

Any document that you are asked to provide to support your student visa application must be translated by accredited translators which in Australia are called NAATI translators. If any of the documents have been translated in another country apart from Australia then the translator has to provide his or her full name, telephone number, address and their experience and qualifications in the language that has been translated. The migration authorities who handle student visa applications can reject your visa application if any of your translated documents submitted appear to be false.

Certified copies

A certified copy of each original document instead of providing the original documents are normally submitted for all student visa applications. These copies need to be authorised as true copies by someone recognised as legally allowed to do this in your country.


Documents must be translated by a trusted translating institution and must be recognized by Australian Immigration officials.


Common Situations When Families Need Translations

One of the commonest reasons for families requiring translations is when they migrate to another country. Most immigration authorities require that all key documents related to the family need to be provided with a translation if these documents are not in the same official language as the country to which the migrants are intending to live in. This includes translations of the following:

  • a birth certificate for each family member;
  • marriage certificate, when applicable;
  • a divorce certificate, if applicable;
  • any academic degrees’
  • college diplomas;
  • transcripts of course records;
  • medical examination reports and medical records for all the family;
  • overseas drivers’ licenses;
  • police checks for family members.

In Australia, as with most other countries, translations of all key family held documents will need to be accompanied by a signed and certified translation. Failure to do this can delay a migration application and if it involves starting a new job the main applicant may be rejected if the immigration process is far too slow. There is a lot at stake if you do not get the right translations for the documents required to get your new immigration status approved.

Translations for families arriving in Australia

No one is permitted to enter Australia without a visa, whether it is for visiting Australia on a tourist visa, for permanent residency, a bridging visa, a visa for employment purpose, or a working holiday visa. The Australian Government will only accept the English language for the documents that are required for entry into the country for both individuals and families.
All translations of documents required to get a visa must be performed by an approved professional translator who has NAATI accreditation. NAATI stands for the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters and it is responsible for ensuring that translators reach a high standard before being accredited.

The process used for translating visa application documents for families.

Because most documents required to support a visa application are legal documents it is always better to get a professional legal translator to perform the translations. This means a human translator, not an online tool that specifies it undertakes translations of legal documents. These sorts of translations are notorious at providing inaccurate translations of documents which if used will lead to delays in you and your family’s move to Australia.

Legal documents depend on accurate translations which are usually word for word translations. As Australian immigration officials require that every part of a legal document is translated including seals and watermarks it is important to get a legal translator to do the work as he or she will be familiar with the seals and watermarks found on your legal documents. The translator will then certify and sign the translation and state that it is an accurate translation.

Any translated document that you are required to provide for you and your family for visas to if it has not been certified by a professional legal translator your application will be rejected leading to long delays while you sort out your translation problems.

Other reasons why families may need translations

If you have just arrived in Australia and your family is not fully fluent in English, they may need translations related to education and health provision in Australia. Most of the states provide key documents in these areas translated into a whole range of languages. However, if you find some important information that has not been translated into your language you can request a translation from the state you live in. You can also request an interpreter if you are visiting a health care provider or your child’s school. An interpreter will help you to communicate with these agencies and will ensure that miscommunication does not take place.

Some Tips for De Facto Visa Document Translations

Are you applying for a visa for Australia as a de facto partner of an Australian citizen or resident? The process can be painstakingly slow and complicated when you do it yourself, especially if you need many visa document translations because your native language is not English. Here are some tips to help you through the process.

The most important piece of advice is to know exactly what documents you need to provide and how recent they must be. The worst part of applying for a de facto visa is that it can take a long time gathering all the relevant documents – especially if you have spent time living or working in more than one country because you will need police checks and maybe fingerprints from each one. These can get “out of date” before everything has been translated and sent to the Department of Immigration and Border Control.

Continue reading “Some Tips for De Facto Visa Document Translations”

Chinese Business Visa Applicants to Australia will Need a Certified Translation Service

Recently, Scott Morrison, the Australian immigration minister, and Andrew Robb, the trade minister, have announced that business visas for Chinese citizens will now last for a three year period and will have multiple entry status so that the businessmen may enter freely as many times as they wish in the three year time span.

The idea behind the change is to increase trade between Australia and China. Up to now, business visas have been issued for only 12 months. Australia has also increased the number of flights between Australia and China in an attempt to boost trade. In order for a Chinese person to successfully fill in a visa application he or she will need to find a certified translation service with the ability to effectively translate documents from Chinese to English and vice versa.

In January of this year 80,000 visas were issued to Chinese business travellers.

Chinese business travellers are pleased to see these positive changes and all they need to do is ensure all their supporting documentation is translated correctly through a reputable visa documents translation service. Once this has been done and the visa approved business will become much easier.

Australia is lucky to be in the same time zone as China which is great for business and if a Chinese businessman is visiting Melbourne he or she can get important business documents translated with no time wasted and pick them up from the translator Melbourne on arrival at the airport.

The government is not just considering China in its list of countries for business visas but is soon to extend the privilege to other countries. Australia is keen to develop trade overseas as fast as possible to give a boost to the economy.